Thursday 28 February 2013

Ides of March


The month of March is symbolic of a new start, fresh beginning and hope for the spring and summer.  The year starts here.  But for the first time in my life I am facing the spring equinox with some trepidation.  Normally I would be full of hope and excitement for the new year but this time round the mood is somewhat somber.   There comes a time when one starts to rationalize the changing seasons as the stepping stones of ones own mortality; we start to regret the passing of time rather than enjoying embracing the excitement of the changing seasons. 



The question's nagging away,  how many more summers will I get?  This fleeting morbidity will fade with the dry cleaning bill for my cricket whites, but its presence today is bleak reminder of a life well into the final half.  The mood is somewhat dampened by pension statements that confirm the undeniable truth; to keep on living (spending) at the pace we have become accustomed, will mean that I am likely to yoked to the plough until the very end.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon